Blueberry Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (21 ounces) blueberry pie filling
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture just until combined.
- 2. Spread half of the batter into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling; sprinkle with nutmeg. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over the top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 124 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Blueberry Bars
"I made it for any nephew's return from boot camp. Everyone loved it, even his teenage friends. This one is A keeper!"
"I substituted strawberry pie filling, as I felt this would appeal to me and my family more, and it was a hit! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe! It is definitely a keeper :)"
"This is my go to recipe for potluck dessert. I have also used raspberry pie filling and it is better than the blueberry. If I can find blackberry pie filling I am going to try it with that!"
"Delicious The sweet taste of blueberry with just a little tang of lemon. I put the glaze in a zip loc bag and snip the corner off to drizzle it on the bars. I make it with homemade filling rather than canned. It's easy and yummy. 3/4 cup of sugar,1/4 cup of cornstarch,1/4 cup water, and 1 and 1/2 cups blueberry. Boil it all for a couple of minutes while stirring . When it turns thick and jelly like it's ready to use"
"Very good and several people asked me for the recipe!"
"I have made these bars many times and I have always added a few fresh blueberries to the pie filling, you get much more blueberry flavor and it is so good!!!!I"
"Rather than using a pie filling, I would like some input as to using fresh blueberries. How would I adjust the recipe for this?"
"Very tasty and simple to make. I have used many different types of pie filling and loved everyone."
"I made this with blueberry pie filling the first time. The cake was a little too thick for the filling...so the 2nd time I made them, I reduced the baking powder to 1 1/2 tsp, omitted the nutmeg and changed the filling to strawberry. Awesome! Cake is moist and the lemon (more of a frosting than a glaze-have to spread it on the bars while warm) complimented the strawberry filling. Perfect for a snack or dessert. Have plans to make this again and use cherry pie filling next."
"The cake looked a little dry in the picture, but it's actually a very light cake. It almost tastes like a blueberry muffin, but lighter and sweeter. It could pass for a brunch item, as well as a dessert."