I've received many rave reviews for this tender coffee cake that's chock-full of blueberries and sliced almonds. Since it's not overly sweet, it's just the thing for breakfast or a light dessert. -Brenda Carr, Houston, Texas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, butter and extracts until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in 2/3 cup blueberries.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with remaining blueberries. Combine the almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p31
Reviews for Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review