Blueberries 'n' Dumplings Recipe
Here's a versatile dumpling recipe that's excellent for dessert or as a sweet breakfast sprinkled with whole grain cereal. Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits, and this dish is a fantastic way to enjoy them.
- 3 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cider and tapioca; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the blueberries and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered; stirring occasionally. Stir in almond extract; continue simmering.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be stiff).
- Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto simmering blueberry mixture. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift lid while simmering).
- In a small bowl, beat cream and syrup until soft peaks form. Spoon blueberry mixture into serving bowls; top with dumplings. Serve with maple cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Blueberries N Dumplings in Country Woman May/June 2004, p31
Reviews for Blueberries 'n' Dumplings(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review