Blue Ribbon White Bread Recipe
This recipe took first-place honors 7 consecutive years at our local fair. My relatives rave about this bread and its pleasant subtle ginger flavor.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, shortening, sugar, salt, ginger and 3-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 113 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Blue Ribbon White Bread
Reviewed Sep. 8, 2008
"does this work well using a bosch mixer"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC