This recipe took first-place honors 7 consecutive years at our local fair. My relatives rave about this bread and its pleasant subtle ginger flavor.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, shortening, sugar, salt, ginger and 3-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Blue Ribbon White Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p46
Reviews for Blue Ribbon White Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review