Blue-Ribbon Rye Bread Recipe
“My older sister and brother once had a little bread business, selling mom’s homemade loaves to neighbors and other people in the community, including this rye that won best of show at our county fair," says daughter Libby Spicker.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir in the brown sugar, shortening, molasses, caraway seeds and salt. Add rye flour and 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; shape into three loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 81 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC