Blue Ribbon Poppy Seed Cheese Bread Recipe
The recipe for this moist and delicious bread won me a blue ribbon at the Los Angeles County Fair. I make several batches at once and freeze them for later use or to give as gifts.—Marina Castle, North Hollywood, California
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, mustard and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in cheese, onion and poppy seeds.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 194 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Blue Ribbon Poppy Seed Cheese Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC