Blue Ribbon Poppy Seed Cheese Bread Recipe
The recipe for this moist and delicious bread won me a blue ribbon at the Los Angeles County Fair. I make several batches at once and freeze them for later use or to give as gifts.Marina Castle, North Hollywood, California
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, mustard and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in cheese, onion and poppy seeds.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Poppy Seed Cheese Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p112
Reviews for Blue Ribbon Poppy Seed Cheese Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review