Blue-Ribbon Herb Rolls Recipe
THESE ROLLS have been a favorite of ours for nearly 25 years. I even baked them in an old wood stove when we lived on a farm. I developed the recipe by using several ideas and techniques while learning the art of bread making. It won a blue ribbon at our county fair. -Mary Ann Evans, Tarpon Springs, Florida
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey or molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the oil, honey, salt, seasonings, egg, whole wheat flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six portions. Divide each into 24 pieces. Shape each into a 1-in. ball; place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, 20-25 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 94 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Herb Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC