I RECEIVED this recipe from my sister about 30 years ago. Our eight children are grown and no longer live at home, but I'm still making these doughnuts - they've become a favorite with my 16 grandchildren!
They can't seem to get enough of these tasty treats, and they love to cut them out for Grandma to fry.
-Kay McEwen, Sussex, New Brunswick
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat
- 1-2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick and light in color). Add
- cream, milk, vanilla, 2 cups flour, cream of tartar, baking soda,
- salt and nutmeg; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to
- form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and
- refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a
- lightly floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry