Blue-Ribbon Doughnuts Recipe
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat 1-2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick and light in color). Add cream, milk, vanilla, 2 cups flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Doughnuts(4)
Sort By :
I just made this recipe, and they are by far the best donuts I have ever tasted. I have recently renewed my subscription, and have received my first magazine. Just as great as I remembered. Thanks and keep 'em coming. Ruth C
Delicious and easy to master. I deep fried the doughnut "holes" instead of re-rolling the dough. Yummy....a definite keeper!
It says to use baking soda, directions say to add baking pdr, which is it? Why don't directions mention the nutmeg, whip crm, vanilla, come on... let get real here.
I had wanted to try this recipe, what orange? What peeling? How much oil? Where is the rest of this recipe??