- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
"Wonderful cake but allergies to almond prevent using flavoring so I grated 2 Tablespoons of lemon zest and added to syrup while cooking. Wow it's awesome next time I will try lime zest. Thank you thank you for sharing you wonderful find. ;-)"
"This is so good, I could eat the whole cake! The butter sauce is amazing, and the almond extract compliments it wonderfully, I didn't change a thing. Definitely a keeper.Thank you for sharing this one."
"This cake is amazing and exceeded my expectations. It is very versatile - we ate it alongside jambalaya for dinner & then ate it with sausages for breakfast the next morning. Would also be a great cake to serve with soup. Love!"
"my grandmother made this cake and she used cocoa and a chocolate fudge icing. It was so good"
"This is a recipe that we know as Kentucky Butter cake. Delicious. Also great if made in individual ramekins as it gives each serving the crusty edges."