- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
Sort By :
"This is a good, simple pound cake recipe. It's very moist and baked perfectly. I just didn't find that it had a lot of flavor. I didn't have any Almond Extract so I substituted for Lemon (which is my favorite) so it was okay. It will not be my "go to" pound cake recipe since I find that the 7up Pound Cake recipe has better flavor. I thought that the butter sauce would be overly sweet but it wasn't. This is not an overly sweet cake which is a good thing. If I make it again, simply because it used all ingredients that are always on hand, I would add more vanilla extract to the batter."
"I am not much of a baker, nor am I much into sweets. So when I made this recipe, I forgot to adjust for high altitude (5,000 ft). I also didn't have any almond or vanilla extract on hand. The cake rose and then fell. I thought I had a disaster on my hands. But, OMG, I turned it out onto a plate, and it was beautiful. And, since I didn't do the butter sauce, I am just eating the cake plain. I swear that it tastes just like pound cake, but without having to use all the eggs and stuff. I will make this again with the butter sauce one day, and make sure I shop for the extracts first, too. :)"
"I have made this cake twice, once with butter milk ,& once with 2% milk. I add a little vegetable oil and it turned out great. I gave it to a friend of mind, she said it was fantastic."
"Served at church and it was gone."
"Simple and delicious!!! Love it!"