- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
"Very good tasting cake. For some reason, I always seem to have trouble getting a bundt to come out in one solid piece. So I had to piece some of it back together, which made it hard to poke holes. Decided to pour the topping over it and used a pastry brush to apply the the rest. Next time I think I'll just use a 9 x 13 pan instead."
"Annie if you use regular milk, add a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to it and let it set a few minutes before adding to the recipe. That will mimic the buttermilk."
"can you use regular milk?"
"I made this cake today. The flavor was wonderful, especially the butter sauce. This recipe is definitely a keeper!!"
"I loved this recipe. I also turned the heat down to 300 as my oven cooks very hot. The butter sauce was good. I think next time I will use vanilla and lemon flavoring."
"I love all the recipes from Taste of Home. The first tube cake I made, my oven was at 350 (for 60 mins.) , but the cake got very brown. I noticed that when cooking, I smelled a butter browning /egg-y smell. The second time, I turned the oven down to between 275 and 300, and baked the cake from between 1hr. 20mins. to 1hr. 30mins. This time it came out excellent. It's my feeling that If it smells like the cake is baking hot, turn the oven down. I used butter extract and the vanilla (instead of the almond, I don't care for that). Also, I only buttered the bottom of the pan. If I remember correctly, you never grease up the sides of a cake or souffle in which you want a high rise. The sauce after a full rolling boil tastes much better (it turned kind of yellow) - more buttery."
"We loved this. I used a large cake pan and poured the 'icing' on top (after poking holes)"
"Wonderful cake but allergies to almond prevent using flavoring so I grated 2 Tablespoons of lemon zest and added to syrup while cooking. Wow it's awesome next time I will try lime zest. Thank you thank you for sharing you wonderful find. ;-)"