- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
Sort By :
"Absoutley delicious. Tastes like my mamaw's"
"Instead of the almond I used orange extract. I also used milk instead of the buttermilk. Worked out just fine! :)"
"I made this Butter Cake last night and can't keep my hands off it. It's the most wonderful cake I have ever made. Thanks so much."
"I used brown sugar and maple extract in the butter sauce it was so moist and delicious and only had to bake 60 min"
"This is a good, simple pound cake recipe. It's very moist and baked perfectly. I just didn't find that it had a lot of flavor. I didn't have any Almond Extract so I substituted for Lemon (which is my favorite) so it was okay. It will not be my "go to" pound cake recipe since I find that the 7up Pound Cake recipe has better flavor. I thought that the butter sauce would be overly sweet but it wasn't. This is not an overly sweet cake which is a good thing. If I make it again, simply because it used all ingredients that are always on hand, I would add more vanilla extract to the batter."