I have a son who lives in Mexico, so we don’t see him very often. When I make these burritos, it feels as if he is right there at the table with us, inhaling them. —Marina Castle, Canyon Country, California
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) taco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- Oil for frying
- 3/4 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in taco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add lemon juice and, if desired, olives.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Working in batches, fry potatoes 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
- Stir potatoes into meat mixture. Place 2/3 cup mixture near the center of each tortilla; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling and roll up.
Wrap each burrito in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cool filling before making burritos. After wrapping burritos in foil, freeze in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, partially thaw overnight in refrigerator. Reheat foil-wrapped burritos on a baking sheet in a preheated 350° oven 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Or, to reheat one burrito, remove foil and rewrap burrito in paper towel; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through, turning once. Let stand 20 seconds. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Blue Ribbon Beefy Burritos in Taste of Home June/July 2014
Reviews for Blue Ribbon Beefy Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review