- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half
- of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie
- plate. Trim pastry even with rim.
- In a small bowl, mix walnut layer ingredients until blended. Spread
- onto bottom of pastry shell. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and
- vanilla. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and
- salt; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour filling over walnut layer; dot with butter. Roll remaining
- pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim,
- seal and flute edge. Brush top with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cut
- slits in pastry.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake 55-65 minutes or until crust is
- golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil
- during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove
- foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup shortening until crumbly. Gradually add 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half and shape into disks; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 611 calories, 36 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.