- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- WALNUT LAYER:
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (4-5 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim.
- In a small bowl, mix walnut layer ingredients until blended. Spread onto bottom of pastry shell. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour filling over walnut layer; dot with butter. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Brush top with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits in pastry.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake 55-65 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Blue-Ribbon Apple Pie in Taste of Home December 2013
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2014
"I made this tonight using my own pie crust recipe. It was delicious. Definitely a hit, and I will be making it again."