- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- WALNUT LAYER:
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (4-5 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim.
- In a small bowl, mix walnut layer ingredients until blended. Spread onto bottom of pastry shell. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour filling over walnut layer; dot with butter. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Brush top with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits in pastry.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake 55-65 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Blue-Ribbon Apple Pie in Taste of Home December 2013
Reviews for Blue-Ribbon Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2014
"I made this tonight using my own pie crust recipe. It was delicious. Definitely a hit, and I will be making it again."