- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine flour, 2 cups sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine eggs, oil, orange juice and vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix well.
- In a bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Spread a third of the batter into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Top with half the apples. Repeat layers. Carefully spread remaining batter over apples.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Blue Ribbon Apple Cake
Sort By :
I have been making this cake for years; since I found it in a Taste of Home magazine back in the 90's. It gets awesome reviews and I personally LOVE it!! I make the cake itself exactly as directed. Sometimes I dust it with powdered sugar and sometimes I do a simple milk/powdered sugar glaze.
I love apple pie so I was a little hesitant about making this cake. I'm glad I decided to make it anyway. We loved it.
Greatest Apple Cake I've ever made.
I forgot to click on the stars - would rate 5 star!
This cake is delicious and very moist. I added some chopped walnuts over the apple slices and liked the addition. This was raved over by guests. It kept moist for several days.