Blue Cheese Spread
When entertaining during the holidays. it's nice to have make-ahead recipes like this. Crunchy toasted walnuts complement the creamy spread.—Carole Bess White, Portland, Oregon
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Assorted crackers
- In a small skillet, saute shallots in butter until tender. Remove
- from the heat; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cheeses, sour cream, Cognac,
- salt and pepper. Add shallots and mix well. Line a 3-cup bowl with
- plastic wrap. Spread cheese mixture into prepared bowl. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Unmold onto a serving plate; garnish with walnuts. Serve with
- crackers. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons (calculated without crackers) equals 141 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.