Blue Cheese-Onion Steak Bites Recipe
“I love the flavor pairing of blue cheese and steak. Adding garlic and onion make it even better. This is a hearty appetizer for parties or a great light lunch.”—Jo-Ellen Neil, Arroyo Grande, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (10-1/2 ounces) French bread baguette, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until onions are softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Meanwhile, sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cut into thin slices.
- 4. Place bread on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 5. Meanwhile, place the cream cheese, blue cheese, salt and pepper in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Spread each bread slice with 1 teaspoon cheese mixture; top with steak and onions. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 76 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC