Here’s my go-to entree for just about any special occasion. Filled with a savory stuffing, the sliced tenderloin looks and tastes like a specialty from an upscale restaurant.—Joyce Conway, Westerville, Ohio
Featured In: 30 Grilled Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons horseradish mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups French-fried onions
- Additional French-fried onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. In a small bowl, mix mustard, pepper, oil and salt.
- Cut lengthwise through the center of roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast flat; cover with plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to 3/4-in. thickness.
- Remove plastic. Spread mushrooms down center of roast to within 1/2 in. of ends; top with 1/2 cup cheese and onions. Close roast; tie at 1-1/2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Secure ends with toothpicks.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; spread with mustard mixture. Roast 40-50 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Remove string and toothpicks. Top servings with remaining cheese. If desired, warm additional onions in microwave and sprinkle over tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Blue Cheese-Mushroom Stuffed Tenderloin in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Blue Cheese-Mushroom Stuffed Tenderloin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review