Blue Cheese Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients. Add the steak; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Grill beef, covered, over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 4. Let stand for 5 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef with 2 tablespoons cheese equals 239 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 367 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.