Blue Cheese Bread Pudding Recipe
You can play with the flavor of this recipe by changing the type of blue cheese you use—from sharp Stilton to saltier Gorgonzola.—Crystal Jo Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 French bread baguettes (10-1/2 ounces each), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups (16 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 5 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Place half of the bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with onion mixture and half of blue cheese. Top with remaining bread and blue cheese.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, cream, salt and pepper. Pour over bread; let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 667 calories, 48 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 299 mg cholesterol, 1,204 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC