- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, thyme, nutmeg and pepper. Toss to coat. Add cheese and walnuts; set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface. Brush with butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Layer with two more sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter and sprinkling with bread crumbs. Layer with another sheet of phyllo. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Spoon 1-1/2 cups apple mixture along the long end of phyllo to within 2 in. of edges. Fold long sides 2 in. over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Repeat, making two more strudels.
- Transfer strudels to a parchment paper-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. With a sharp knife, cut slits in the top of each strudel. Brush with remaining butter. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 strudels (8 slices each).
Originally published as Blue Cheese-Apple Strudels in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p187
Reviews for Blue Cheese-Apple Strudels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review