"I'm always inventing new recipes or improving on old ones," says Sharon Richardson of Dallas, Texas. "Since the BLT is a family favorite, I created a soup with all the flavors of the sandwich. But I gave it extra zip by adding picante sauce."
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 1 pound bacon strips, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add bread cubes; stir until crisp and golden brown. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside.
- Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Gradually stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute or until blended. Add the broth, picante sauce, tomato sauce and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Just before serving, add lettuce and heat through. Sprinkle with croutons and bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as BLT Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p52
Reviews for BLT Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review