BLT Salad with Croutons Recipe
“In my family of six, it’s hard to find a vegetable or salad that everyone will eat, but they all raved about this one,” enthuses Susie Clayton of South St. Paul, Minnesota. “With garden-fresh basil, this salad is easy, but mouthwatering.”—Susie Clayton, South St. Paul, Minnesota
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 to 5 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon and drippings aside.
- 2. In another large skillet, melt butter. Add bread cubes; cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove to paper towels; cool.
- 3. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, basil, vinegar, pepper, garlic and reserved drippings. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC