BLT Brunch Pie Recipe
My boys can't wait to pick the first ripe tomatoes in our garden to be used in this terrific pie. It has a tempting filling and tomatoes layered in a melt-in-your-mouth crust. And the crust is so easy to make- you just pat the dough into the pan!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4-1/2 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in sour cream. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Press pastry into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edges if desired. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, mushrooms, bacon, green pepper and onion. Layer half of the tomatoes in crust; top with half of the mayonnaise mixture. Repeat layers.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 464 calories, 39 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC