Blooming Onions Recipe
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1. With a sharp knife, slice 1/2 in. off the top of the onions; peel onions. Cut each into 16 wedges to within 1/2 in. of root end.
- 2. Place each onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around onions and seal tightly. Place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine butter and mustard. Open foil; fold foil around onions. Brush butter mixture over onions; sprinkle with bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- 4. Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with onions. Yield: 8 servings.
1/4 onion with 1 tablespoon sauce equals 65 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.