My family has enjoyed these bars as a potluck dessert, brown-bag treat and anytime snack many times throughout the years. Butterscotch or peanut butter chips can be used in place of the chocolate chips.
24 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and
- fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually
- add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and chocolate
- Spread into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 144 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.