- with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until
- stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over
- batter. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or
- until meringue is lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; whisk in milk and
- egg. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes
- or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool.
- Run a knife around edge of baking pans. Using two large spatulas,
- carefully remove one cake to a serving plate, meringue side up.
- Carefully spread with filling. Top with second cake, meringue side
- up. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 523 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 234 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.