Blend of the Bayou Recipe
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, cook and stir cream cheese and 2 tablespoons butter over low heat until melted and smooth.
- In a large skillet, saute onion, celery and green pepper in remaining butter until tender. Stir in shrimp, crab, soup, rice, mushrooms, garlic salt, pepper sauce, cayenne and cream cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine cheddar cheese and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Blend of the Bayou
Sort By :
"I use 2 lbs of salad shrimp and leave out the crab. I use crab or lobster bisque instead of cream of mushroom and am generous with the hot sauce. My family loves the slightly modified version."
"This recipe which is ACTUALLY from the cook book collection of recipes gathered from the Lake Charles Junior League of Louisiana members for many years. Some of Louisiana's best! We have been making this for decades and have tweeked the recipe to our tastes. We believe it enhances the original recipe if you are looking for a splurge of flavor and are not concerned with the additional expense. Our modifications to the original recipe are as follows:~ Use dehydrated mushrooms instead of canned~ Add 1 tsp of dried chives~ Add 3/4 lb of diced scallops~ Substitute crackers for Cheese-it Crackers* My son likes his extra spicy, so he even adds some sriracha to kick it up another notch!"
"If you like seafood you will like this one. It was very easy to make and has lots of spice."
"Recipe calls for the entire container of cream cheese, if make again will only add 1/2 b/c just tasted entirely like cream cheese & was bland so had to add a LOT of hot sauce, also will try using imitation crab & will leave out the canned mushrooms-didn't need to be there since didn't add anything to the taste"
"This was pretty tasty, but not worth the price to make. I'd rather use my crab in crab cakes and my shrimp in Thai Shrimp and Noodles (an amazing Taste of Home recipe... Look it up!)."