Blackened Chicken and Beans
My husband loves any spicy food. But this is one quick-fix and low-fat recipe we can both enjoy. While the chicken cooks, put together individual salads of packaged shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and avocado with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese. Dinner's done! —Christine Zongker, Spring Hill, Kansas
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- Combine the chili powder, salt and pepper; rub over both sides of
- chicken. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over
- medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer
- reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the beans, corn and salsa to the pan; heat through. Serve with
- chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup bean mixture equals 297 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 697 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a