Blackened Cajun Chicken
My son's a great cook who came up with this rub on his own. It's one of our very favorite ways to prepare chicken because it's nice and zesty.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon each paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder and ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder, ground cumin, dried thyme and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- Combine all seasonings. Place chicken in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish; rub with half of the seasoning mixture. Cover and refrigerate
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-23 minutes on each side or
- until juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: Seasoning mix is enough for two chickens. It may be made ahead and stored in an airtight container until needed.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared without added salt) equals 268 calories, 110 mg sodium, 96 mg cholesterol, 12 g carbohydrate, 38 g protein, 8 g fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a