This low-guilt coffee cake is high in luscious blackberry flavor. Wonderfully moist and tender, it’s also good made with fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries.—Carol Forcum, Marion, IL
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blackberries.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Blackberry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake in Country Woman February/March 2010, p34
Reviews for Blackberry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review