Blackberry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blackberries.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece equals 160 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Blackberry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
"Moist and delicious! I played around with the all purpose-wheat flour ratio. I also added a pecan/brown sugar/cinnamon crumble on the top. I love this coffee cake recipe!"
"This cake is not sweet - if you want a wholesome tasting cake with a bit of tartness - this is it."
"This is an excellent coffee cake. It is very moist, lots of flavor, but not too sweet. I made it with blueberries and cherries instead of blackberries. I will definitely make this again!"
"I used blueberries instead of blackberries. It is a very healthy snack cake that my family enjoys. For a really special treat, add a little syrup or molasses...it tastes like a blueberry pancake!"
"Although I've had better tasting coffee cake, this one is not overly sweet & it doesn't overwhelm a good cup of coffee. Great texture. I used frozen blackberries which compliments the wheat flour well. For those who want a sweeter taste, you might use 1 3/4 cup of brown sugar (or add 1/2 c white sugar instead)."
"This was great! My husband LOVED it and so did our kids. I thought it was great, but I took it literally that I could use frozen, so it was a bit wet and gooey. Hubby and kids, didn't even blink but gobbled it up. ( I did find the recipe while browsing and was to impatient to defrost my berries) I will ABSOLUTELY make this again, and again. In fact i think it will be what I take to potlucks for now on!I do wish it had said thawed frozen berries, just for silly newbies like me! ; )"
"This is a wonderful tasting coffee cake and it's even healthy!"
"My husband was skeptical but once he tasted it he didn't quiet eating it until it was all gone."