- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blackberries.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Blackberry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
Sort By :
Moist and delicious! I played around with the all purpose-wheat flour ratio. I also added a pecan/brown sugar/cinnamon crumble on the top. I love this coffee cake recipe!
This cake is not sweet - if you want a wholesome tasting cake with a bit of tartness - this is it.
This is an excellent coffee cake. It is very moist, lots of flavor, but not too sweet. I made it with blueberries and cherries instead of blackberries. I will definitely make this again!
I used blueberries instead of blackberries. It is a very healthy snack cake that my family enjoys. For a really special treat, add a little syrup or molasses...it tastes like a blueberry pancake!
Although I've had better tasting coffee cake, this one is not overly sweet & it doesn't overwhelm a good cup of coffee. Great texture. I used frozen blackberries which compliments the wheat flour well. For those who want a sweeter taste, you might use 1 3/4 cup of brown sugar (or add 1/2 c white sugar instead).