Blackberry Soup Recipe
From Cheney, Kansas, Julian Ann Hillman shared the recipe for this chilled soup that stars a bounty of berries. "I have several blackberry bushes, and they yielded an abundance of berries one year," she writes. "I came up with this recipe by adapting another fruit soup recipe I hand on hand."
- 4 cups frozen blackberries, thawed
- 1 cup pear juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lime or lemon wedge
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free vanilla yogurt
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until berries are softened. Remove and discard lime wedge. Strain berry mixture, reserving juice. Press blackberry mixture through a fine meshed sieve; discard seeds. Add pulp to juice. Cover and chill.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons yogurt for garnish. Combine blackberry mixture and remaining yogurt in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth. Ladle into soup bowls. Dollop with reserved yogurt. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Blackberry Soup in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p44
Reviews for Blackberry Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review