Blackberry Fruit Dumpling Recipe
I received this recipe from a native Indian lady. We've exchanged many tips and recipes over the years, and this dessert has become a favorite.
- 3 pints fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Half-and-half or whipped cream, optional
- In a 6-qt. kettle, combine the blackberries, sugar, water and butter; bring to a boil.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in dry ingredients until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto boiling berry mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until dumplings test done (do not lift the cover while simmering).
- Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Blackberry Dumplings in Country Extra July 1998, p51
Reviews for Blackberry Fruit Dumpling(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review