Blackberry Buckle Recipe
This homey dessert can be made with blueberries or raspberries instead.— Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Toss the blackberries with lemon juice; sprinkle over batter. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour; cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 291 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC