- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Toss the blackberries with lemon juice; sprinkle over batter. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour; cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Originally published as Blackberry Buckle in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p228
Reviews for Blackberry Buckle(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2009
I substituted butter for shortening and the recipe worked just fine. I also skipped the lemon juice. It was so good I'm ready to make a new pan!