Blackberry Apple Pie Recipe
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Top with a thin layer of apples. In a large bowl, combine blackberries and remaining apples; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine sugar and cornstarch. Add to fruit mixture; toss gently to coat. Spoon into pie shell; dot with butter.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Beat egg with water; brush over lattice top and pie edges.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 415 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 238 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.