- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extract.
- Remove cake from pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in warm cake with a skewer; slowly pour syrup over cake. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Black Walnut Coconut Cake
"Any cake that has black walnuts in it has got to be good-and this one is GREAT!"
"Most grocery stores have black walnuts in the baking isle . They may be seasonal in some areas. The taste will not be the same with any other nut. I tried to add 5 stars but it would only let me add one."
"where do I find black walnuts????? I rated one star because you have to click a star just to ask this question."
"I have made this cake several times and it is perfect each time! I always get rave reviews! Thanks for sharing! :)"
"Excellent flavored cake"
"Absolutely fabulous special occasion cake"
"Since I didn't have any coconut extract, I substituted almond extract, and it was excellent! I'm sure the coconut extract would give the cake a lot more coconut flavor, and I'll buy some next time I make this cake. I'm happy to say my results looked just like the picture, and it was moist and delicious."
"I tried printing recipe three times, and all times it only printed 1 page out of 2, why?"