Black Walnut Coconut Cake Recipe
I’ve been making cakes for over 60 years, and this is one of my favorites. I’m often asked to bring it to the monthly senior citizens’ fellowship meal at my church. My children and grandchildren think it’s special, too.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extract.
- 4. Remove cake from pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in warm cake with a skewer; slowly pour syrup over cake. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 629 calories, 31 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 80 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC