These scrumptious dumplings are very easy to fix. I like to prepare them just before a meal and then set them aside to be served for dessert. They're good cold, too! This recipe is popular with our neighbors in states to the east.
- 1 quart fresh or frozen black raspberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups prepared baking mix
- 1 cup milk
- Additional sugar, optional
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a 6-qt. pan, combine raspberries, 1 cup sugar, water and cornstarch; stir to blend. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, combine baking mix, milk and remaining sugar in a bowl. Mix until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto berries. Cook over low heat, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes more, or until dumplings are cooked through.
- For glazed effect, sprinkle dumplings with additional sugar and a dash of nutmeg before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Black Raspberry Dumplings in Country August/September 1990, p47
Reviews for Black Raspberry Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review