These scrumptious dumplings are very easy to fix. I like to prepare them just before a meal and then set them aside to be served for dessert. They're good cold, too! This recipe is popular with our neighbors in states to the east.
- 1 quart fresh or frozen black raspberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups prepared baking mix
- 1 cup milk
- Additional sugar, optional
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a 6-qt. pan, combine raspberries, 1 cup sugar, water and cornstarch; stir to blend. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, combine baking mix, milk and remaining sugar in a bowl. Mix until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto berries. Cook over low heat, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes more, or until dumplings are cooked through.
- For glazed effect, sprinkle dumplings with additional sugar and a dash of nutmeg before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Black Raspberry Dumplings in Country August/September 1990, p47
Reviews for Black Raspberry Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 25, 2012
"This was very fast and easy. It was a very convenient dessert to make, and you can adjust the sugar to your taste. I cut it in half so I could use a 3-qt pan, and it worked fine. With some ice cream, this was a delicious way to enjoy the berries."