Black Pepper Pound Cake
"I once had a recipe for this cake from the early 1900's but lost it, so I adapted my grandma's pound cake recipe," relates field editor Sue Gronholz from Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in pepper and extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating very well
- after each addition. Add flour alternately with cream and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at
- 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if
- desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 414 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.