Black Forest Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Chocolate sprinkles or fresh mint, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until serving.
- 2. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk until blended. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- 3. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until set.
- 4. Serve with whipped cream and pie filling. If desired, top with sprinkles. Yield: 5 waffles (about 6-3/4 in.).
1 serving: 706 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Black Forest Waffles
"I didn't care for this recipe. The chocolate mixture clumped even though I cooled it first before adding it in. The chocolate flavor wasn't strong enough. I'm a big chocolate fan, but next time I'll make regular waffles and top with cherries, whipped cream and a few chocolate chips."