Black Forest Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
My creation is special because I have captured the flavors of two classic desserts, Black Forest Cake and Cherries Jubilee in a cookie. The fudgy chocolate cookie is filled with a no-coo cherry mixture. Chopped almonds compliment the amaretto flavor in the filling and the cookie is an eye-catcher and oh-so pretty to serve during the holidays.—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup cherry spreadable fruit
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups chopped almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, milk and extract. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. In a food processor, combine the cherries, spreadable fruit, Amaretto and lemon peel. Cover and pulse until chopped; set aside. Place egg whites and almonds in separate shallow bowls. Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Coat in egg whites, then roll in almonds.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Fill with cherry mixture. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 90 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Black Forest Thumbprint Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC