- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Add butter. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Fold in half of the pie filling.
- Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is almost set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Just before serving, top with remaining pie filling and whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Black Forest Pie
"I have been making this for years! It is soooo good and such an easy pie to make. One of my husbands favorites!"
"This was overall a descent pie. The regular pie crust actually didn't go well with rest, though. I will probably play with the crust and see if I can come up with something that fits together with the rest of the ingredients better. Aside from that, the filling was pretty good, and I absolutely love cherries."
"Very delicious pie and quite easy to prepare. It will definitely be made again."
"It was moist and delicious and not too sweet. And whipped cream should never be optional for this!"