Black Forest Pie
With three active children, I don't usually fuss with fancy desserts. This one is simple but impressive--it's the one I make to show how much I care. The tempting combination of chocolate and tangy red cherries is guaranteed to make someone feel special.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling, divided
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and flour. Stir in milk
- until smooth. Add butter. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs;
- return all to pan, stirring constantly. Fold in half of the pie
- Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until
- filling is almost set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Just before
- serving, top with remaining pie filling and whipped topping if
- desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 370 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium,