- 3-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries plus additional cherries
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring 3-1/4 cups water and salt to a boil. Stir in oats and wheat germ; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cocoa, sugar, vanilla and remaining water; stir until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and cherries to oats; stir until well combined and heated through. Serve topped with additional cherries and, if desired, miniature chocolate chips and sweetened whipped cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Black Forest Oatmeal in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2016, p76
Reviews for Black Forest Oatmeal
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review