Black Forest Icebox Cookies Recipe
You'll want to keep these festive cookies on hand for when holiday company arrives. The rich chocolate wafers are the perfect complement to the creamy filling's sweet-tart tones. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:20 servings
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry juice blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon cherry brandy
- 1 package (9 ounces) chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, juice blend and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in food coloring if desired. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the Mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar and brandy. Spread about 1 teaspoon cheese mixture onto 20 wafers; top with 2 teaspoons cherry mixture and remaining wafers. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking pan.
- 3. Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Cover and refrigerate cookies for up to 4 hours before serving. Yield: 20 cookies.
1 sandwich cookie equals 139 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC